> > > > >

Flan Pans

A Flan Pan is a round, shallow cake pan, whose bottom is raised in the centre, causing the cake when turned out of the pan inverted to have a plateau in the middle with raised edges around it.

In Germany, the pan is called an "Obsttortenform", ("fruit cake form"), because the flans there are almost always topped with fruit. It's also called in German "Tortenboden" (meaning "cake bottom.")

They can be made of tin, steel or non-stick covered metal. They range in width anywhere from 8 to 14 inches (20 to 35 cm.) The sides are almost always fluted.

Flan Pans are similar to a Mary Ann Pan but shallower; a Mary Ann Pan may have a fluted or straight edge.

Cooking Tips

Grease non-stick ones before using (sic).

See also:

Cake Pans

Baking Cups; Bundt Pans; Cake Pans; Cheesecake Pans; Flan Pans; Fluted Tube Pans; Jelly Roll Pans; Kugelhopf Pans; Mary Ann Pans; Muffin Tins; Springform Pans; Tube Pans

Please share this information with your friends. They may love it.

Also called:

Obsttortenform, Tortenboden (German)


Oulton, Randal. "Flan Pans." CooksInfo.com. Published 04 June 2005; revised 08 November 2007. Web. Accessed 03/17/2018. <http://www.cooksinfo.com/flan-pans>.

© Copyright 2018. All rights reserved and enforced. You are welcome to cite CooksInfo.com as a reference, but no direct copying and republishing is allowed.