To unmould, in cooking, is getting something you made out of the vessel you made it in, and attempting to do so in one piece. It is also the point at which all your hard work is mostly likely to go pear-shaped.
You can unmould cakes, ice-creams, dessert or savoury jellies, or savoury items such as timbales.
- Lining cake pans with greaseproof or waxed paper, or greasing and flouring the cake pan, can help make unmoulding the cake easier;
- With a cake, running a knife along the edge sometimes helps;
- Springform pans certainly make unmoulding cakes easier;
- For frozen items such as ice cream, or gelatins, unmoulding techniques range from first dipping the mould in cold water and then slightly warm water then turning it over onto a plate. Some people advise that the warm water dip should be a last-ditch effort if all else fails;
- Some people take blow torches to the sides of a jelly that they are trying to unmould;
- Terrines for Pâtés can be lined for plastic wrap, if it's a terrine that doesn't require cooking.
Cooking TechniquesÀ la Cooking Terms List; Acetomel; Acidulated Water; Acidulate; Adjust Seasoning; Adjusting the Taste of Dishes; Affriander; Alambre; Bake Blind; Bake; Ballotine; Barbeque; Battuto; Baveuse; Beat; Beer Can Chicken Roasting; Bench Proof; Beurre Manié; Blanch; Braising; Brine; Brining Beans; Broasting; Broil; Carving a Turkey; Chopping Techniques; Coddle; Cooking Techniques; Curing; Dredging; Egg Wash; Emulsify; Firm-Ball Stage; Fold; French Trimmed; Frissonne; Fry; Galantine; Garnishes; Grill; Hard-Ball Stage; Hard-Crack Stage; High Altitude Baking; Knead; Liaison; London Broil; Mise en Place; Mitonner; Mochitsuki; Open-Faced; Paillards; Pan Broil; Parblanch; Parboil; Pâton; Persillade; Pickled; Pickling; Pittsburgh Rare; Poaching; Preheat; Preserving Eggs; Proof; Pulse; Punch Down; Quadriller; Quick Jar Sterilization; Raidir; Reconstitute; Reducing; Rehydrate; Rest; Ribbon Stage; Roasted Garlic; Roasted Peppers; Rolling Boil; Scalding Milk; Scald; Scallop; Separating Eggs; Skimming; Smoking; Soaking Beans; Soffritto; Soft-Ball Stage; Soft-Crack Stage; Sous Vide; Souse; Spatchcock; Spitchcock; Steamed Puddings; Stir; Temper; Tezu; Thread Stage; Unmould; Usu-Zukuri; Warm; Wash; Water Bath; Whip; Wok Hay
Please share this information with your friends. They may love it.