Cooking at: 350 F / 180 C / Gas Mark 4
Bourbon Pecan Pie Recipe
A classic Pecan Pie recipe.
- Start oven heating.
- Have a pie pan lined with the pie crust and ready to go.
- Arrange 1/2 of the pecan pieces on a baking sheet, and place in oven for 7 minutes. Remove, empty into a bowl, stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter and two dashes of salt.
- Keep oven on.
- Place in a medium-sized saucepan all but 2 tablespoons of the corn syrup, 4 tablespoons of the butter, 3/4 cup (5 oz / 150g) of the brown sugar and a dash of salt. Place on stove on medium heat, bring to a low boil and hold there for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the cornstarch in the water, then add the vanilla and the bourbon.
- Separate the yolks from 3 of the eggs; set those egg whites aside for another, future use.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the corn syrup mixture.
- In a large bowl, break the 3 remaining eggs, and stir in the 3 egg yolks. Spoon or pour the corn syrup in a little at a time, stirring well.
- Scatter pecan pieces over bottom of pie shell. Pour the corn syrup mixture over the pecans, and bake in your oven for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put in a saucepan a dash of salt, the remaining 3 tablespoons of the butter, the remaining 2 tablespoons of corn syrup, and the remaining brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and hold at the boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining pecan pieces and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Stir to coat the pecans.
- Remove pie from oven, spoon these pecan pieces over top the pie, and put back for oven for 10 minutes. Then remove and let cool before serving.
Use a 5 cup (1.2 L) pie pan. Which is to say, either a 9 inch pie pan 1 1/2 inches deep, or a 10 inch pan 1 inch deep.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!