See also: E.D. Smith recipe for pumpkin pie
Libby’s recipe for pumpkin pie
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs (large)
- 15 oz Pumpkin purée 1 can (15 oz / 450 ml) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk 1 can (12 fl. oz / 350 ml) Evaporated Milk
- 1 Pie Crust 1 unbaked 9-inch (23 cm / 4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
- Wash hands with soap and water; ensure worksurface is clean.
- Make or thaw pie shell; set in fridge until needed.
- Start oven heating to 425 degrees F / 220 C.
- In small bowl or measuring jug, mix all dry ingredients from sugar down to and including salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs lightly.
- Stir dry mixture into the eggs.
- Stir pumpkin purée into the eggs.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Place pie into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the milk.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 F / 175 C.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes (test for doneness: knife inserted near center comes out clean)
- Remove from oven. Let cool before serving.
Note: this recipe calls for the unflavoured pumpkin purée, not for the tinned pumpkin pie mixture that is already seasoned! The recipe doesn’t call for nutmeg, but many people say they add a bit anyway. 1 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves, however the taste will be slightly different. Many people say the suggested baking time is never long enough. Store baked pie refrigerated. Regard raw eggs as you would raw meat: clean surfaces and hands after contact with them.
Calories: 248kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 6gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 295mgPotassium: 167mgFiber: 1gSugar: 24gVitamin A: 162IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 124mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!