There are slightly different interpretations of what a Rachel Sandwich should be, but all are variants of a Reuben Sandwich which is sauerkraut, corned beef, Rye Bread, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing.
- One version is made by swapping the sauerkraut with coleslaw, but keeping the corned beef;
- Another verison swaps the corned beef for another meat: some say turkey, some say pastrami -- but keeping the sauerkraut;
- Some versions call for both turkey and corned beef;
- Some versions swap the meat for turkey or pastrami, and swap the coleslaw for sauerkraut.
Some people say that Rachel and Reuben sandwiches are the same, but that scandalizes Reuben sandwich lovers, who see it as a licence for someone behind the counter to play with their order.
- Russian DressingThere are a bewildering number of opinions as to what constitutes Russian Dressing, so many in fact that one might be tempted to say that this can't be considered an actual, defined item in the kitchen. But then, without Russian Dressing, there'd be no such thing as a Reuben Sandwich or a Crab Louie Salad, so someone out there must be sure that what they're using is Russian Dressing.
- Beef on Weck Sandwiches
- Croque MadameA Croque Madame is a Croque Monsieur with a sunny-side up fried egg served on top of it, according to the Petit Robert dictionary: Croque-monsieur surmonté d'un œuf sur le plat. (Trans: Croque monsieur topped with an egg on the plate.) Note that there is no mention of a sauce, Béchamel or otherwise, inside or out of the sandwich.
- Croque Monsieur Sandwiches
- Frank Sinatra Sandwich
- Ginger Rogers SandwichAccording to the Peacock café in Georgetown, Washingston DC, a Ginger Rogers Sandwich has turkey, bacon, provolone, mustard, lettuce and tomato in it. The version that was sold at Reuben's Delicatessen in New York, though, was completely different: it was made from Nova Lox, cream cheese and French-fried onions.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Hot Dogs
- Lobster Rolls
- Marshmallow Cream SpreadMarshmallow Cream Spread is made from essentially the same ingredients as marshmallows are (corn syrup, sugar syrup, vanilla flavour, and egg white), but in different proportions and without the gelatin so that it won't set. The Marshmallow Cream Spread with the brand name Fluff is the original, made by Durkee Mower.
- Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- Pain de Mie
- Panino con il Lampredotto
- Pepperoni Rolls
- Philadelphia Cheese Steak
- Pullman Loaf PansPullman Loaf Pans (aka Pullman bread pans) make a perfectly rectangular loaf of bread that is consistent in width and height for its entire length, so that when sliced it yields consistently-sized, perfectly square slices of bread for sandwiches. It does this thanks to a cover that slides onto the breadpan, helping to mould what would be a rounded top into a perfectly flat one.
- Rachel SandwichThere are slightly different interpretations of what a Rachel Sandwich should be, but all are variants of a Reuben Sandwich which is sauerkraut, corned beef, Rye Bread, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing. One version is made by swapping the sauerkraut with coleslaw, but keeping the corned beef; Another verison swaps the corned beef for another meat: some say turkey, some say pastrami -- but keeping the sauerkraut; Some versions call for both turkey and corned beef; Some versions swap the meat for turkey or pastrami, and swap the coleslaw for sauerkraut.
- Reuben Sandwich
- Submarine Sandwiches
- Walter Winchell Sandwich
- Zsa Zsa Gabor Sandwich
Popular Topics This Week
Food CalendarA calendar of food days tracking what happens when in the world of food.
- Cashew Day (Today)Cashews are some of the oddest nuts. They grow hanging off the bottom of fruits that look like apples, and are toxic to handle unless the shells on the nuts are treated properly.
"There are times when only mashed potato will do."
-- Nigella Lawson (6 January 1960 - )
-- Nigella Lawson (6 January 1960 - )
Myth of the Day
We're Mobile!Take CooksInfo shopping with you! Bookmark us on your mobile device.