Rappie Pie Recipe
A classic Acadian potato dish.
- Grease and set aside an ovenproof dish. Prefer a shallow dish with more surface, such as an 8 x 15 inch (20 x 38 cm) rectangular pan.
- Cook 4 of the potatoes and mash them.
- Chop up the meat, and heat it up in a frying pan. Add the minced onion, and when both are lightly browned, season to taste with salt, pepper and coriander, and savoury if using, and set aside.
- Start heating oven to 175 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Peel and grate the rest of the potatoes (raw.)
- Press the grated potato in a towel to extract as much water as possible.
- Mix the mashed potato, the grated potato, and the cooked pork and onion.
- Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.
- If using diced salt pork, sprinkle it on top.
- Bake for two hours at 175 C (350 F ).
- Serve hot.
16 potatoes is about 2 pounds / 1 kg.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!