"Pavé" is French for a "cobblestone."
When used in a food context, it refers to a square or rectangular flat piece of food or dish.
- Moulded mousses or jellies: A cold dish made in a square or rectangular mould. The food is often a mousse, whether foie gras, pheasant, salmon or other fish. It is often coated with jelly, and decorated with truffles.
- Slab cakes: Square, layered sponge cakes with a buttercream layer in between. A "pavé au chocolat" is a chocolate slab cake.
- Meat: can refer to a thick piece of grilled steak
- Cheese sold in flat, rectangular blocks such as Pavé d'Auge (aka Pavé de Moyaux, Pavé du Plessis, Pavé de Trouville), Pavé Blesois or Pavé de Chirac,
- Bread: That such as Pain Pavé.
Technical TermsÀ la Cooking Terms List; Accolade; Acetic Acid; Adobado; Air-Layered; Alliumophobia; Alpha Amylase; Alum; Alveograph; Anodised Aluminium; Ascorbic Acid; Bake Sales; Bavarian Beer Purity Laws; Best Before Dates; Bletting; Bread Improvers; Buffets; Butterfat; Butyric Acid; Caramelization; Carbonic Acid; Carnauba Wax; Cheese Technical Terms; Chocolate Bloom; Citric Acid; Collops; Corm; Cracker Barrel; Crèmes; Cucina Casalinga; Cultivar; Deipnophobia; Dioecious Plants; Docker Holes; Drupes; Du Jour; Dunking; Etiolation; EU Designations; F1; Firkin; Fish Worms; French Revolutionary Calendar; Gâte-sauce; Gomme Arabique; Gueridon Service; Hock Locks; Hybrid; Invaiatura; Kosher; Lachanophobia; Lime (Chemical); Listeria; Lye; Mageirocophobia; Maillard Reaction; Malic Acid; Measurements; Open Pollinated; Organic Food; Ostraconophobia; Oxalic Acid; Pack Date; Pasteurization; Pavé; Penicillium Glaucum; Penicillium Roqueforti; Phosphoric Acid; Pickling Lime; Plant Variety Protection; Pome; Potassium Nitrite; Potluck Suppers; Punnet; Quinine; Scald (Fruit); Scoville Units; Sell-By Dates; Silicon Dioxide; Silicon Dioxide; Slabs; Smoking Point; Sodium Nitrate; Sodium Nitrite; Stufatura; Subacid; Sweet-and-Sour; Technical Terms; Umami; Unsaturated Fat; Use-By Dates; Ware Potatoes; Yatai; Ye Shi; Yearling
Please share this information with your friends. They may love it.