> > > >



© Randal Oulton

Walms is a cooking term used to track how much something has been boiled.

A walm is an "surge upwards of boiling water", when a circular "wave" of water rises from the bottom of the pot and breaks the surface in a surge.

Cookbooks would give directions such as, "and so let it boil six or seven walms....": six or seven surges of boiling water. Cooking instructions might also tell you to bring the water to a boil till "it boil high with great walms in the middle of the kettle."

Outside of boiling water, walms can also refer to a surge of waves, or a gush of a fountain.

Language Notes

Walms comes from the Old English word for spring, "wielm." It is now considered obsolete.

See also:


Baking Pan Conversions; Baking Pans by Dimension; Baking Pans by Volume; Butter Stick; Dry Pint Basket; Firkin; Measurements; Noce di Burro; Oven Temperatures; Pony; Presa di Sale; Walms

Please share this information with your friends. They may love it.


Oulton, Randal. "Walms." CooksInfo.com. Published 21 June 2006; revised 04 November 2013. Web. Accessed 06/19/2018. <http://www.cooksinfo.com/walms>.

© Copyright 2018. All rights reserved and enforced. You are welcome to cite CooksInfo.com as a reference, but no direct copying and republishing is allowed.