Shit on a Shingle (SOS) is a US military food term — unofficial, of course!
It is a dish consisting of a cream sauce with meat in it poured over toast. It is often served as a breakfast dish.
There are some variations, though, and what it means exactly can depend upon which branch of military service it is being served in. See here for the history of shit on a shingle.
Shit on a Shingle
- Wash hands with soap and water; clean work surface.
- Chop up the chipped beef roughly, set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat along with a few dashes of ground pepper (optional: a dash of ground nutmeg, a pinch of onion powder or a tablespoon of minced onion, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a squirt of mustard.) Don't let the butter brown. As soon as it's just all melted, add the flour, and whisk it in. Let cook for a minute, then whisk in half the milk. As soon as it's absorbed, whisk in the remainder of the milk, then stir in the chipped beef, and set the heat to low.
- Pop the bread in the toaster. When it's toasted, arrange the two slices of toast and spoon the beef mixture on top of both.
- Serve piping hot.
- If you're serving for lunch or dinner, add some side veg for a complete meal.
Nutrition will vary wildly based on the bread and meat you used, and the sauce you made.