Crème is the French word for “cream.”
It is used in many senses: actual dairy creams, custards, pastry fillings, liqueurs, etc.
- Crème anglaise: custard;
- Crème Brulé: a specific custard dessert;
- Crème Caramel: a specific custard dessert with caramel at the bottom. If the caramel is on top, it gets called “crème renversée”;
- Crème Chiboust; Crème Saint-Honoré: a pastry cream;
- Crème d’Amandes: an almond-flavoured pastry filling;
- Crème de: many liqueur names start with “Crème de”, indicating that they may have dairy cream in them or have a consistency as though they did;
- Crème Frangipane: an almond-flavoured pastry filling;
- Crème Fraiche: a dairy product, an actual cream;
- Crème Glacé: ice cream;
- Crème Patissière: a pastry cream;
- Crème Plombières: another pastry cream.