The 13th of June is Kitchen Klutzes Day.
This is a day dedicated to those with the best of intentions in the kitchen, but for whom it just doesn’t always work out.
We all have a bad day sometime, when everything just seems to go wrong in the kitchen and you end up ordering takeout.
Sometimes you just have to laugh at it, have a glass of wine and share your story with a friend.
Tell your funniest kitchen disaster tale on social media today, and tag it with #KitchenKlutzes!
Avoid some common klutzes
Today could be a good day to review some basic operational kitchen safety practices:
- Turn pot handles away from the front of stove where they can be knocked as you walk by, but yet, don’t turn them to be over the top of burners;
- Never put your hand or an implement in a moving blender;
- Keep oven mitts handy, yet away from burners;
- Mind taking heated liquids out of the microwave, particularly water, as it can surge when moved;
- Be very careful when blending hot liquids in the blender as they will surge;
- Learn proper knife handling;
- Don’t leave dishwasher door open; terrible accidents have occurred when people have tripped over them and fallen onto knives in the cutlery racks.
Some people say this is “Kitchen Klutzes of America Day”, but we doubt that kitchen klutzes exist only in the U.S., or that the U.S. has any special monopoly on them! We kitchen klutzes are everywhere!
The first print mention that CooksInfo is aware of in print media for a Kitchen Klutzes Day in June dates from 1980 in Los Angeles:
“June 13: Kitchen Klutzes of America Day.” — Bazrod, Sondra Farrell. Planning Ahead. Los Angeles, California: Los Angeles Times. Tuesday, 1 January 1980. You Section, Page 2, col. 1.
The next print mention of a Kitchen Klutzes Day in June that CooksInfo is aware of dates from 2001:
“And for those whose culinary skills leave much to be desired, take heed — Kitchen Klutzes of America Day is June 13.” — Hemenway-Forbes, Meta. Weird Holidays. Waterloo, Iowa: The Courier. Friday, 12 January 2001. Page B5, col. 1.
Anish, Robin. The Table Is Set: Happy National Kitchen Klutzes Day! Pittsfield, MA: The Berkshire Eagle. 12 June 2018. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/robin-anish-the-table-is-set-happy-national-kitchen-klutzes-day,541972
Blakeslee, Karen. National Kitchen Klutzes of America Day. Kansas State Extension Service. 10 May 2017. Accessed May 2021 at https://enewsletters.k-state.edu/youaskedit/2017/05/10/national-kitchen-klutzes-of-america-day/
It’s National Kitchen Klutzes of America Day. NBC News. 13 June 2011. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/its-national-kitchen-klutzes-america-day-v6824918
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension Service. Kitchen Klutzes of America Day (June 13). Accessed August 2018 at