Orange à la Norvegienne Recipe
A classic but still impressive recipe.
- Chill the oranges well before starting.
- Cut a hole in the top of each orange. Using a sharp knife or a spoon, scoop or cut out as much pulp as you can, basically leaving just the orange skin intact as a container.
- Fill each of the orange shells with ice cream. Put in freezer.
- You can prepare ahead up to this point and store in freezer.
- Whip the egg whites and the sugar to hard-peak stage.
- Top each orange with meringue to make a peak on it.
- Place on a tray and put under a broiler (aka grill in the UK) for 2 to 3 minutes. The meringue on top should get browned and a bit crispy, but watch it carefully lest it burn.
- Serve immediately.
Use vanilla ice cream, or try another flavour that you think will work. You may use less sugar if you wish.