The 13th of May is World Cocktail Day.
Cocktails are a fun way to get friends together. In addition to drinking, there’s the fun activity of making them!
Cocktails have a fascinating history.
- check out some online or in person classes in how to make cocktails;
- some of the big brands may hold free mixology sessions online;
- take an in-person class with a friend;
- head out to a favourite bar to enjoy a few cocktails there;
- try a breakfast or brunch cocktail!.
Or, if you want to celebrate at home:
- have friends over for a DIY cocktail party;
- pick a theme: cocktails from a certain era, or made from a certain alcohol, or that evoke a certain country or region;
- have a selection of standard mixers;
- if anyone wants to make a certain cocktail in advance, check to make sure all the ingredients will be available;
- or you could limit the evening to two or three different cocktails, which might be easier to make sure you have all the ingredients for;
- you can actually order a cocktail kit. They will send you a kit with the recipes and all the various ingredients, and let you know in advance which tools and booze you’ll need;
- make sure you have ice on hand;
- a quart / litre-sized Mason jar with a lid can stand in for a cocktail shaker;
make sure all guests have a safe way home after the party.
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WorldCocktailDay/
World Cocktail Day marks the date of 13th May 1806 when a New York weekly journal called ‘The Balance and Columbian Repository’ gave the first printed definition of a cocktail. It was a political journal, arguing for a stronger federal government, and just happened to incidentally give a printed definition of a cocktail:
“Cock tail, then is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water and bitters…”
To be clear, this was not the first mention of “cocktail” in reference to a beverage, but, it was the first mention that gave a definition that fits the modern conception of a cocktail.
Recognition of the day was started in 2007 by the Museum of the American Cocktail. They claim credit for it on their blog:
“First, what is World Cocktail Day? The Museum of the American Cocktail established this day…” Mother’s World Cocktail Day. Museum of the American Cocktail. Blog post. 9 May 2018. Accessed May 2021 at https://southernfood.org/news/2018/5/9/mothers-world-cocktail-day
The Museum was founded in 2004. In 2006, they celebrated the 200th anniversary of the definition of cocktail on the 13th of May. In 2007, they decided to “continue the celebration and expand the scope as well as broader the participation”, and thus, World Cocktail Day was born. World Cocktail Day: May 13, 2007. Museum of the American Cocktail. Blog post. 21 February 2007. Accessed May 2021 at https://cocktailmuseum.wordpress.com/2007/02/21/world-cocktail-day-may-13-2007/
A UK-based charity called Drinkaware appears to have also promoted the day since at least 2012.
Calabrese, Salvatore. Celebrate World Cocktail Day with these Delectable Drinks. Four Magazine. 14 May 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.four-magazine.com/tasting-notes/celebrate-world-cocktail-day-with-these-delectable-drinks/
Casado, Laura and Gillian Brassil. Celebrate World Cocktail Day with these 7 recipes that will spice up any happy hour. Business Insider. 13 May 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.businessinsider.com/7-easy-cocktail-recipes-to-try-for-world-cocktail-day-2020-5
Cheers to World Cocktail Day. Brummell Magazine. 12 May 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.brummellmagazine.co.uk/food-and-drink/cheers-to-world-cocktail-day/
Hill, Lauren Jade. The Hotels Sharing Drinks Recipes For World Cocktail Day. Forbes Magazine. 13 May 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenjadehill/2020/05/13/the-hotels-sharing-drinks-recipes-for-world-cocktail-day/?sh=7490e40e3a22
Hopko, Ashley. Here’s How to Celebrate World Cocktail Day. 13 May 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/05/13/heres-how-to-celebrate-world-cocktail-day/
Osburn, Christopher. World Cocktail Day! The 10 Best Cocktails Across the Globe You Can Make Right at Home. Mandatory website. 13 May 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.mandatory.com/living/1547784-world-cocktail-day-10-best-cocktails
Rhodes, Elizabeth. Make a Cocktail Inspired by Your Favorite Destination for World Cocktail Day. Travel and Leisure Magazine. 12 May 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.travelandleisure.com/food-drink/cocktails-spirits/world-cocktail-day-recipes
|↑1||Mother’s World Cocktail Day. Museum of the American Cocktail. Blog post. 9 May 2018. Accessed May 2021 at https://southernfood.org/news/2018/5/9/mothers-world-cocktail-day|
|↑2||World Cocktail Day: May 13, 2007. Museum of the American Cocktail. Blog post. 21 February 2007. Accessed May 2021 at https://cocktailmuseum.wordpress.com/2007/02/21/world-cocktail-day-may-13-2007/|