Cooking at: 375 F / 190 C / Gas Mark 5
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Wash the outside of the squash, cut it in half lengthwise and scoop / scrape out all the seeds. Place cut-sides down in a dish that can be covered. Add 1/2 inch (1 cm) of water, cover, then place in microwave and nuke for about 14 minutes. When done, set aside to cool. (Tip: if you can do this at least an hour or two before you do the rest of the recipe, you'll be glad you did.)
- Mince the onion. Spray a non-stick frying pan lightly, add the onion, chile flakes, thyme, black pepper and broth, and cook the onion slowly until soft.
- Meanwhile grate the cheese. Reserve 1/4 of it to one side. Mix the other three-quarters of the cheese with the sour cream, the garlic powder, the salt and the parsley. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a 2 litre (8 cup) casserole dish; set aside.
- When the squash halves are cool enough to comfortably handle, take a fork and shred the insides quite close to the skin but not piercing the skin. Add this shredded squash flesh to the cheese and sour cream mixture, stir well, and turn into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle the reserved cheese around the top.
- Pop into oven and bake for 30 minutes. At the end of 30 minutes, turn the broiler on for 5 minutes to bubble and brown the top.
- [Tip: Alternatively, bake in a lightly-sprayed slow cooker on low for about 2 to 3 hours. Test the time the first time out in your crockpot. Or, consider baking it in muffin tins for easy individual servings.]
- Serve piping hot.
3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® per 1 cup (8 oz / 250 g) serving.
The recipe makes a total of 1.5 kg (6 cups). That’s 6 servings of 1 cup (8 oz / 250 g) each. There are a total 19 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® in the recipe.
We used a low-fat cheese that was 1 point per 30 g (an ounce), and a low-fat 5% sour-cream.
We used a salt substitute.
Adding 2 tablespoons of reduced-fat bacon bits maintains points at 3 per serving; you can add up to 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) and keep points at 4 points per serving.
* Weight Watchers Points™ calculated by CooksInfo.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the Points® registered trademarks.