At a cursory glance, False Morels look similar to other Morels, though they are not even related.
These wild mushrooms are not considered safe to eat. See Nutrition below.
Some people say they are safe to eat, but a great many people have very severe, toxic reactions which are often fatal.
Some harvests of False Morels have less of the toxin, some have more. It’s a form of gourmet Russian roulette. Even if you eat some fine the first couple of times, the next time you may react. Even the cooking fumes are hazardous. The general recommendation is both to avoid it and not to serve to others.
One Latin name for them, “Gyromitra esculenta”, is completely misleading, because “esculenta” means edible.