Steak au Poivre Recipe
Classically served with French fries and leafy salad.
- Mince the onion, set aside.
- Crush the peppecorns and set out on a plate.
- Brush both sides of the steaks with some oil, and press both sides into the crushed peppercorns.
- Heat a frying pan to very hot. Add the butter, with a bit more oil. When the butter is sizzling, toss the steaks in.
- Sear for 1 minute each side. Then cook to taste: 1 minute more per side for rare, 1 1/2 minutes more per side for medium-rare; 2 minutes more per side for well-done.
- 1 minute before your steaks are done, toss in the minced onion off to the side to get it started.
- When the steaks are done, remove the steaks from the pan, and cover to keep hot.
- Pour the wine into the pan and really crank the heat. Let it bubble and reduce it to about 1/3 of it s original volume -- it will look syrupy at this stage. Scrape the pan during this to get up the flavour bits.
- Plate the steaks and drizzle each with some of the sauce. Send to the table.
For peppercorns, mixed (black, white, green, red) are ideal. To crush the peppercorns, use bottom of a frying pan, a rolling pin, or set your pepper mill to very coarse. For the frying pan, your sauce will be better if you don't use non-stick.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!