Wheat Germ Muffins Recipe
Wheat germ is very good for you, but not very tasty. This recipe, with the brown sugar and raisins, may entice people into eating it.
- Butter your muffin tins (about a dozen.)
- Start oven heating to 190 C / 375 F / Gas Mark 5
- Combine sour milk, oil, oats and egg. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt; then stir in the raisins.
- Turn the flour mixture all at once into the milk and oat mixture, then stir until just blended; leave slightly lumpy.
- Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
See buttermilk entry for substitutions. You can use melted shortening instead of oil. You can substitute currants or dates for raisins. Optional: nuts such as walnuts.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!