Cooking at: 400 F / 200 C / Gas Mark 6
Bacon and Cheese Bread Recipe
A really yummy bread, nice warm with a bowl of soup or a salad.
- Grease and line a bread loaf tin. Set aside.
- Fry or microwave the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel, crumble and set aside.
- Cut cheddar into 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes; set aside.
- Start heating your oven.
- In a bowl, put the flour, salt, baking powder and mustard powder. Stir, then add the milk and egg and stir again until all combined. The consistency should more that of a cake batter than a bread dough -- if too thick, add a tablespoon or two more milk. Don't overstir, though, as you don't want any gluten to develop in the flour. Fold in the cheese cubes and the crumbled bacon.
- Transfer to the loaf pan, spread out evenly, and bake in oven until golden brown and risen and a tooth pick comes out clean from the dough. This should be about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool and remove baking paper.
- Serve in slices warm or cold.
Use American-style bacon, the kind that in the UK is called "streaky". 2 oz / 60g of cubed Cheddar Cheese will equal about 1/3 cup.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!