Bacon and Potato Pie Recipe
A delicious cold weather dish.
- Chop the onion; set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the cream and the eggs, then stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, onion and flour.
- Peel the potatoes, then grate them. Stir them into the egg and cream. Set aside.
- Start heating the oven to 200 C / 400 F / Gas Mark 6.
- Cook the bacon in the frying pan until just crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the frying pan (leave the heat on), crumble it into the egg and cream mixture, and stir to mix. Turn up the heat on the frying pan, and let the fat get quite hot. Swirl the pan so that the fat coats the sides, then pour the potato mixture in, and pop the frying pan into the oven.
- Bake until the pie is puffed and golden brown on top, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve hot, slicing it up into wedges as you would a pie.
Use a 9 or 10 inch (23 or 25 cm) frying pan. Cast iron would be ideal, but any frying pan that is also oven safe will do. Use American style (i.e. streaky) bacon.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!