Baked Cream Corn
This is an easy, yummy side dish: ends up sort of like cheezy scrambled egg with corn in it.
Cooking Temperature 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4
- 1 can Creamed Corn large (approx 17 oz)
- 4 Eggs
- ¼ cup Milk
- 4 pieces Bacon
- 2 oz Cheddar Cheese grated
- Cook the bacon, drain, and crumble or chop.
- Start oven heating to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Beat the three eggs lightly in a mixing bowl. Put the creamed corn into a sieve, shake or press some of the excess liquid off. Add this to the egg, along with the milk. Stir. Fold in the bacon. Season as desired.
- Pour into a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle the grated cheese over, and bake in oven for about 40 minutes, until it is set or mostly set, and the cheese is bubbling and turning golden brown. (It's okay in fact even nice if the centre bit is still a bit runny.)
The large cans are about 17 oz / 470g / just over 2 cups. If you want to make only half the recipe, then just use the small 8 oz can, and cut the other ingredients in half accordingly. 2 oz / 50 g of Cheddar cheese will give you about ½ a cup grated -- basically, you're aiming for a few handfuls. Consider both the bacon and the cheese optional, but they really make the dish something great. The more the cream corn mixture is spread out, the better / faster it sets -- thus the suggestion to look for a shallow baking dish. Or, a large one in which the mixture will be 3 inches (7 ½ cm) or so deep, as opposed to 4 or 5 inches (8 to 10 cm.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!