The 25th of May is Wine Day.
Treat yourself to a glass of wine today! Maybe a glass of one a little more expensive than you usually have? You might be able to find some deals on a bottle of wine today at the shops.
Today, you’ll probably read lots of stuff touting the “health benefits” of wine. We’re just going to say it is probably best to disregard any of the media’s always-changing simplifications of health claims for and against wine, and just enjoy it for what it is in moderation.
See also: Drink Wine Day, Red Wine Day, Sangria Day, Wine and Cheese Day, Wine, Beaujolais Nouveau Day, World Malbec Day, Vinalia Urbana, Vinalia Rustica, Meditrinalia
- Beef Daube Recipe
- Coronation Chicken Recipe
- French Country Beans Recipe
- Mulled Wine Recipe
- Steak au Poivre Recipe
Activities for today
- try wine in a form you don’t usually have it: buy in a small, airplane sized bottle, or in a box, or in a disposable cup;
- try a wine you don’t usually buy, maybe splurge a little more than you usually do;
- try cooking with wine as an ingredient;
- go to a winery;
- invite your friends over for a wine party, have everyone bring a bottle that they want others to try, with some information about the winery and wine, and then do a wine tasting;
- make a sangria to enjoy outdoors if the weather is nice.
You can send a friend a Happy Wine Day card for free here: Happy Wine Day e-card
The earliest print mention of a “Wine Day” in May that CooksInfo is aware of dates from 2004:
“What… wine we’re drinking. May 25 is National Wine Day.” — Cocoa, Florida: Florida Today. 24 May 2004. Page 13.
Deutsch, Lindsay et al. National Wine Day: It’s wine o’clock all day today. USA Today. 25 May 2016. Accessed April 2021 at https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2016/05/25/national-wine-day-s-wine-oclock-all-day-today/84861372/
Morris, Chris. 7 Wines to Help You Toast National Wine Day. Fortune Magazine. 25 May 2018. Accessed April 2021 at http://fortune.com/2018/05/25/national-wine-day-2018-suggestions/
Wine Folly. National Wine Days of the Year. 14 August 2015. Accessed April 2021 at https://winefolly.com/update/national-wine-day/