Blonde Brownies Recipe
A classic blonde brownie recipe.
- If you bought whole walnuts, chop them up now, set aside.
- Grease the cake pan; set aside.
- Start your oven heating to 190 C / 375 F / Gas Mark 5.
- Crack the two eggs into a mixing bowl, beat till blended, then stir in the sugar and vanilla. Zap the butter in the microwave to melt it, then whisk the melted butter into the egg mixture. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the walnut pieces and the chocolate chops. Make a well in the centre, and pour the egg mixture into the well. Stir mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to cake pan and pop into oven. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan.
- While the brownies are cooking, you can get the icing ready.
- In a microwave-proof mixing bowl, zap the remaining butter (1 ½ tbsp) just until it starts to brown a bit. Stir in the vanilla, add and stir in the icing sugar, and then as much cream as needed to make a spreadable icing.
- Spread on brownies when the brownies are cool.
- Cut into squares to serve.
You need a square cake pan that is 9 x 9 x 2 inches (23 x 23 x 5cm / 10 cups / 2.5 L.) Optional: some versions have you sprinkle the chocolate chips on top the mixture once it is in the pan, instead of incorporating them into the mixture. Optional: some versions call for butterscotch chips instead of chocolate ones.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!