“Pavé” is French for a “cobblestone.”
When used in a food context, it refers to a square or rectangular flat piece of food or dish.
- Moulded mousses or jellies: A cold dish made in a square or rectangular mould. The food is often a mousse, whether foie gras, pheasant, salmon or other fish. It is often coated with jelly, and decorated with truffles.
- Slab cakes: Square, layered sponge cakes with a buttercream layer in between. A “pavé au chocolat” is a chocolate slab cake.
- Meat: can refer to a thick piece of grilled steak
- Cheese sold in flat, rectangular blocks such as Pavé d’Auge (aka Pavé de Moyaux, Pavé du Plessis, Pavé de Trouville), Pavé Blesois or Pavé de Chirac,
- Bread: That such as Pain Pavé.