Pease Pudding Recipe
Goes well with ham. In America, this is more likely to be referred to as "pease porridge".
- Cut onion into thin wedges.
- Place in a large piece of muslin or cheesecloth the peas, thyme, parsley and onion. Tie it up with string. Place in boiling water for about 40 minutes.
- Open the cloth and empty the now-mushy peas into a saucepan. Beat in the butter and the egg, and cook for two minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place large spoonfuls of the pudding onto a greased cookie sheet, and lightly brown them in a hot oven (about 10 minutes.)
- Serve on plate along with other items such as meat, root veg, etc.
If you are boiling something else, such as a ham, you can boil it right in the pan with the ham, if there is room. You don't have to do the final baking; you can skip this step and just serve it as a soft purée.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!