Pistachio Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
This is a bit fiddly, but you can make it a day ahead.
Servings: 24 appetizers
- Wash mushrooms. Trim the bottom bit off the stems and discard. Twist out the stalks, and finely chop the stalks. Set aside.
- Mince the onion and set aside. Chop the nuts and set aside.
- Lightly fry the chopped mushroom stalks and onion in half of the butter until they are tender. Don't brown. Stir in the nuts, parsley and marjoram, and mix well.
- Start heating your oven (unless you are making this ahead to cook later.)
- Remove from stove, and stuff the mushroom caps (upside down) with this mixture. Place the mushroom caps upside down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the bread crumbs. Melt the remaining butter in the microwave (or in a pot on the stovetop.) Drizzle it over the mushroom caps. You can set in fridge at this point to cook later. You can even make this a day ahead.
- Place caps in oven, bake for about 5 minutes. If they are cold from the fridge, you'll likely have to give them a few more minutes (or take them out of the fridge a little ahead of time to warm up to room temperature.) These are even nicer if placed under the broiler / grill for 5 minutes.
If you have fresh parsley, you can use 2 tablespoons of fresh, chopped, instead. Instead of marjoram you can use oregano. If you wish, instead of drizzling with the remaining 1/2 of the butter, you can use 4 tablespoons of olive oil. The mixture shouldn't need salt for most people's tastes, but if you wish you can add up to 1/4 teaspoon of salt.