Puffed Pinwheel Pizzas
This is a great meal for kids to prepare for themselves with your help.
- Thaw the puff pastry in advance of starting.
- Start heating your oven to 200 C / 400 F / Gas Mark 6.
- Grate the cheese; set aside.
- Beat the egg; set side.
- Roll out the puff pastry to make a square about 16 inches x 12 inches (40 x 30 cm.) Spread the sauce over top of it, leaving about 1/2 (1 cm) bare on all sides so that it doesn't splodge out later. Arrange the ham slices on it, then sprinkle the cheese over. Roll up the pastry tightly.
- (At this point, if you are working with kids and your crew has taken a while, pop it in the fridge for 10 minutes to re-chill the dough.)
- Cut into twelve slices, and lay them out flat on a non-stick cookie sheet. Brush each with the egg, then sprinkle each with a pinch of the oregano. Bake until puffed and golden -- about 12 to 15 minutes. Let rest out of oven on cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Pizza sauce can be bought in jars, tins or in squeeze bottles. Instead of pizza sauce, you can just use a tomato-based pasta sauce. Use very thin ham slices, the kind you get for sandwiches. 1/4 pound (100 g) of cheddar cheese, grated = 1 cup grated.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!