Black Beans and Rice
- Open, rinse and drain the black beans. Put them in a bowl, juice the two limes and pour the juice over them. Stir gently, and cover to let marinate.
- Put the rice in a micro-wave safe container. Add the teaspoon of cumin, the bay leaves, and the 2 cups (16 oz / 500ml) of water. Stir. Zap in microwave until water starts to boil, then cook at half power for 32 minutes. Let sit in microwave for 5 to 10 minutes after that.
- You can prepare the beans and rice at any point in advance, even a day ahead (store in refrigerator.)
Prepare various vegetables to be used as a salad topping. How much choice you want to offer will depend on how much prep time you have. Possible choices include:
- sweet or hot (or both) peppers;
- roasted peppers;
- shredded lettuce;
- chopped tomato;
- sliced cucumber;
- chopped green onion;
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves;
- canned artichoke hearts in brine, drained;
- pickled beet slices;
- avocado slices.
- Other toppings can include
- grated cheese;
- sour cream;
- hot sauce;
- Lizano sauce on the side;
- quartered limes to squeeze on.
- To assemble: heat the beans and the rice. Put half-cup of rice on the plate, then half a cup of the beans. Squirt a bit of Italian dressing on them, then top with mixed vegetables. Drizzle a bit more of the Italian dressing on the salad you've just assembled on top, then if using, some sour cream, grated cheese, sauces, etc.
- The beans and rice before the toppings go on© Denzil Green
Some toppings prepped: lettuce, artichoke hearts, tomato,
peppers, lime, cucumber, grated cheese
© Denzil Green
We used sodium-free canned black beans.
Garnished with sour cream and grated cheese, a heaping plate of this is just 8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus®. [Our calculations: Half-cup each of black beans and brown rice is 5 points. We used low-fat 5.5% milk fat sour cream (1 point per 2 tablespoons) and reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (2 points for 3 grated tablespoons.) The fat free Italian dressing we used is 0 points per 4 tablespoons (75 ml / 1/4 cup.)] Adding avocado slices is a nice treat from time to time. Half a normal size Hass avocado (a normal one weighs about 8 oz / 225 g without the pit) adds 4 points to the plate.
* Weight Watchers Points™ calculated by CooksInfo.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the Points® registered trademarks.