Broccoli and Ricotta Sauce for Pasta
A very easy sauce to make.
- Put on two pots of water to boil. One for whatever kind of pasta you are going to be cooking; the other for the broccoli.
- Wash and chop up the broccoli.
- Pop your pasta in to cook when its water is boiling. The broccoli's pot of water should be boiling now, too: pop the broccoli in that, and start timing 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all the remaining ingredients to a blender or food processor. Don't whiz yet.
- When the broccoli's 5 minutes are up, scoop about a cup (8 oz / 250 ml) of water out and set it aside, then drain the broccoli. Add the broccoli to the blender along with about 6 tablespoons of your reserved water. Whiz the sauce, but not to the point that the broccoli disappears in it all together: leave some broccoli pieces showing.
- If the sauce appears to be too thick, stir in by hand a few more tablespoons of your reserved water.
- Put the lid on the blender jug for a few minutes to help keep the sauce warmish while you finish cooking and draining the pasta. Stir into pasta, reheat on stove for a minute or two if desired, and serve.
For the nuts, use shelled walnuts or cashew nuts, or pine nuts. For the pasta, use a chunky pasta such as penne or rigatoni. This recipe makes enough sauce for pasta for 4 people.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!