Cooking at: 375 F / 190 C / Gas Mark 5
Butter Tarts Recipe
Butter tarts are a traditional Canadian (and Scottish) dessert.
- Melt the butter in a microwave or in a pot on the stove until just melted. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Start heating your oven.
- Prepare your pastry, and line the tart tins with the pastry.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Now, mix in the sugar into the eggs, then the melted butter. Stir in the vinegar, then the fruit and nuts.
- Fill each lined tart cup half full with the mixture (small sized tarts, for instance, will want just about a tablespoon in each one.)
- Bake on middle shelf. Allow about 25 minutes for small tarts, 30 minutes for large tarts.
- Remove from oven, let cool a bit, then remove and put on rack.
You can make 3 dozen small tarts, 2 dozen medium or 1 dozen quite large. If you are making small tarts, allow for the same amount of pastry as you would for a top and bottom crust on a pie. You can use any mixed fruit: you can even use just raisins and sultanas mixed together. If measuring brown sugar by cup (North American measurements), loosely pack it.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!