Creamed Spinach (1) Recipe
For many people, a creamed spinach dish is often pivotal in getting them to give spinach another chance, after a childhood of being served boiled spinach out of a can.
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 4 tablespoons Onion chopped, finely
- 20 oz Spinach frozen
- 8 oz Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- Fresh Bread Crumbs
- Sauté the onion in the oil until the onion is transparent. Add the spinach, the cream and the cheese, stir, and let come to a simmer.
- Meanwhile heat the broiler / grill on your stove.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs, place under grill in stove and grill for 3 to 4 minutes until bread crumbs start to brown and mixture is bubbling on the top. Serve immediately.
In many places, frozen spinach often seems to come in 10 oz / 280 g packages. You'll want 2 of such packages. Thaw the spinach, drain it, and chop it (if it doesn't come already chopped). Optional: sauté 2 teaspoons of minced garlic along with the onion. Optional: top with a few slices of tomato before you sprinkle the bread crumbs on. You can make this up to a day ahead and store covered in the refrigerator, reserving the bread crumbs and grilling until you actually go to serve the dish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!