Food presses are devices which transform food in some way. They have many applications in the culinary world. Uses include:
- Binding food mixtures together;
- Pressing food into shapes and sizes more convenient for slicing, portioning and serving;
- Making attractive shapes;
- Creating all new dishes out of something else, such as juice out of fruit;
- Holding food closer to a heat source;
- Saving labour and introducing greater efficiency to a task.
They can be any size, from small to industrial, and of materials such as stone, wood, plastic or metal. They can be operated by manual force, or electricity.
Presses can be used for liquid or solid foods, and used during harvest, food creation or preparation, or cooking.