Kilt Lettuce Recipe
A recipe from the American south.
- Wash lettuce, dry well. Place in the bowl you will serve in.
- Slice green onions thinly, add to lettuce.
- Cut bacon up into 1 inch (2 1 ½ cm) slices.
- Fry up bacon in a frying pan until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, let the heat on low.
- Add to the fat in the frying pan the vinegar and then sugar, whisk sugar in, increase heat to get the sauce very hot. Pour over the lettuce, toss so that all the leaves wilt a bit, season to taste with salt and pepper, toss the cooked bacon pieces on top to garnish, and serve straight-away.
Use generous handfuls, so that you end up starting with about 12 cups (3 litres in volume) altogether. Use fatty (aka streaky aka American-style) bacon.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!