Pepper and Anchovy Salad
This can be served warm or cold. It's great to have in the fridge as a quick side to reach for to liven up dinner plates during the week. And at only 73 calories per 1/2 cup (125 g) serving, you can treat yourself without worry.
- Wash the peppers, then roast them in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes until they are looking scorched in places.
- Remove, cover with a bowl, and let stand for another 10 minutes. Then peel and seed them and cut into strips.
- In a small pot, heat the olive oil. Add the minced garlic, and cook for half a minute. Then add the capers and anchovies, and sauté for a minute. Remove from heat, add the lemon juice. Grind a bit of fresh pepper in.
- Put peppers in a container or bowl or on a platter and pour the dressing over them. Toss them gently with your hands so they all get some dressing; let stand to marinate in fridge for an hour or even a day.
- Serve room temperature.
- Stores in fridge for up to 4 to 5 days, covered.
Ideally, use a mixed colour assortment of peppers. If you have a gas stove, you can roast the peppers in the stove-top flames instead. Or just cheat and buy roasted peppers in a jar in brine or from the deli counter. Optional: garnish with a few anchovy strips.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
The entire recipe makes 3 cups (750g). Six servings.
A 1/2 cup (125 g) serving has 73 calories.