Cooking at: 375 F / 190 C / Gas Mark 5
Apple, Cheese & Wiener Bake Recipe
Kid and budget friendly dish. This is a very flexible dish; you can use far fewer wieners if you have a pack you want to finish off, and you can use more cheese if you wish. Use whatever type of mustard you wish; plain American-style hotdog mustard actually works well with its slightly stronger taste to stand up against the tastes of the wiener and apple. Use whatever type of apple you wish; we used a cooking apple (Spy apples.)
- Butter a casserole dish; set aside.
- Start heating your oven.
- Chop up the wieners into pieces however you wish (all things being equal, about 1/2 inch / 1 cm thick pieces.) Put in a mixing bowl.
- Peel and chop up the apple into largish pieces; add to mixing bowl. Add the tablespoon of mustard, and use your hands to toss the wiener and the apple together so that it all gets a very light, thin coating of mustard.
- Empty into the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle the sugar over top and cook at top of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. If the apple starts to burn before it is cooked, you can cover with a lid or some tin foil.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle the grated cheese on top, then return to the oven with no covering and increase the heat (or put the dish under the grill or broiler) until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve hot.