Apple Pie with Custard Filling
This is an apple pie that tastes like the most wonderful old-fashioned apple pie in the world, but it has three surprises: a phyllo pastry crust, a layer of custard hiding under the apples, and, it's incredibly low in calories. Prepping the apples takes a bit of time -- there's just no two ways around that. But the phyllo pastry crust saves you the work of making a crust.
Cooking Temperature 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4
- 3 tablespoons Bird's Instant Custard Powder
- 1 cup Water boiling
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 teaspoons Stevia liquid
- 1 ½ pound Apples 750g. In weight after being peeled, cored and sliced.
- 3 sheets Phyllo Pastry
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Jam apricot or marmalade
- In a microwave safe bowl or jug, mix the custard powder with the water, then microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Take out, whisk, then set aside to cool during which time it may thicken further.
- Mix together the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt; set aside. Mix together the lemon juice and stevia, set aside.
- Start heating oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Peel, core and slice the apples thinly. Pour the dry spice mixture on them and toss lightly to coat. Then, drizzle the liquid mixture over them, and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Spray a 9 inch (23 cm) pie plate lightly with cooking spray. Use the 3 sheets of phyllo to line it. Have the extra length from each sheet fold over back into the pie plate at a different part of the pie plate for each sheet.
- Using a spatula or a spoon, spread the custard out evenly in a thin layer over the base of the pie.
- Arrange the apples in the lined pie shell in a classic French apple pie spiral pattern.
- Pop in heated oven and bake for 35 minutes or until apples are tender to the tip of a knife.
- Meanwhile, get the glaze ready: thin the two tablespoons of jam with the tablespoon of lemon juice, and set aside.
- When the apples are cooked, remove the pie from the oven, and switch your oven to broil / grill mode. Brush the glaze all over the apples, coating them all. Return the pie to the oven for 60 to 90 seconds just until some nice browning / carmelization shows (don't take your eyes off it even for a second), then whistle it out right away.
- Let cool before serving.
You'll need about 6 to 8 apples. Make sure you get cooking apples, not eating apples, or you can end up with apple sauce pie. You may want to hold back on a teaspoon of the stevia until you judge how sweet or tart your apples are.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Per ⅛th pie: 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus®
* Weight Watchers Points™ calculated by CooksInfo.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the Points® registered trademarks.