Bread Sauce Recipe
- In a saucepan, place cloves, onion, milk, peppercorns, parsley, nutmeg, salt and any additional flavourings you wish.
- Bring just to a boil, then reduce immediately to a very, very low simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand to infuse for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Strain the milk into a bowl (discard the onion, etc.) Place bread in the saucepan, and pour milk back in along with the dried parsley. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently. This is a spooning sauce, so if it is too thick or too runny add more milk or bread accordingly.
- Do not let boil. If it is ready too soon, the lower heat right down and cover, giving it a stir frequently. If you have cream on hand, you can stir in a tablespoon of cream a few minutes before serving.
- Traditionally served with poultry, but also very nice with pork if you add a few more cloves.
Makes 1 1/4 cups (300 g / 300 ml) in volume.
There are 7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® in total in the recipe. We costed in 3 points for 1 cup (250 ml) of 2% milk; 4 points for 3 slices of calorie-reduced bread.
1 or 2% milk is fine in this recipe, no need for anything richer.
* Weight Watchers Points™ calculated by CooksInfo.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the Points® registered trademarks.