Corn and Chile Fritters
Lovely with bacon. Try these for a summer breakfast, or for an American southwestern themed lunch or light supper with a side salad.
- Chop the chile and the green onion finely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan.
- Add the chile, the green onion, and the corn, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the milk, beaten egg, and 1 tablespoon oil until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. [Tip: you can make ahead up to this point.]
- Add the milk mixture gradually, about ⅓ at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not overmix. Add the corn mixture.
- Heat a non-stick pan, medium heat. Grease very lightly with oil or butter.
- To cook the pancakes, use about ¼ cup (20 oz / 60 ml) of mixture for each pancake. You may be able to fit 3 or 4 in the pan at a time. Watch the pancakes for bubbles: when bubbles appear, they are ready to flip. When done, put in a gently-warmed oven, or cover, to keep these warm while you cook the rest.
- Grease the pan between batches as you feel it needs it.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!