Crème Anglaise Brûlée (Burnt Custard) Recipe
If you really want to impress your friends, tell them this is "crème anglaise brûlée". It's really just custard with hardened, melted sugar on top.
- Mix the custard and the crème fraîche.
- Divide between 6 ramekin dishes. Place in freezer for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove from freezer. Preheat grill or broiler to very high. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar over top of each.
- When grill/broiler is ready, cook under grill/broiler until sugar bubbles and turns very dark -- anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove, cool a few minutes, then place in refrigerator until ready to serve (if you need it right away, stick back in freezer for about 20 minutes.)
You can buy ready-made custard either fresh in the chillers of some supermarkets (certainly any in the UK!), or on shelves in Tetra Paks or in tins. If all else fails, haul out that tin of Bird's -- or make your own, if you have the time that day. Or, use vanilla pudding. If you have a kitchen blow torch, you can use that instead of putting it under the grill.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!