Eggless Butterless Milkless Cake
A classic war-time rations cake. The dried raisins would have been replaced by whatever dried fruit could be had.
- Oil an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) cake pan.
- Combine water, brown sugar, oil, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Then, remove from heat to let the mixture cool a bit, but not quite to room temperature.
- Start heating oven to 175 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- In a bowl, mix the baking powder into the flour in a bowl.
- In a small cup, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and stir into the boiled mixture. This will cause it to foam. Straightaway stir in the flour/baking powder mixture.
- Press the dough (will be more doughy than most cake batters) into the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with the white sugar and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched in the middle.
If you really like raisins and have enough, you can double the raisins. Or, you can use the same amount of raisins as per recipe above, and add up to the same amount of chopped, pitted dates. You could also try other fruit such as dried apricots, dried cranberries, etc. This is a cake that even vegans can eat. And it is very economical to make (depending on what fruit you use).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!