Lemon Puddle Pudding Recipe
A puddle of lemon sauce will form under the sponge cake part of the pudding during cooking.
Cooking Temperature 175 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4
- Butter a baking dish.
- Boil a kettleful of water in your kettle and have it ready to go for final step.
- Wash the lemons to get any wax and surface bacteria off them. Roll and press the lemons for a few seconds to loosen the juice; then zest one, then juice both of them. Put the juice in a measuring cup and add any water needed to bring the total juice volume up to 5 oz / 150ml.
- Start heating oven to 175 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the butter with the sugar, then stir in the egg yolks and lemon zest. Then stir in the milk and flour, a bit at a time, alternating. Add the lemon juice a bit at a time.
- Whip the egg whites, then fold them into the mixture. Don't handle the batter any more than is needed to just fold all the egg white in.
- Pour into the buttered baking dish. Put the dish in a roasting pan, and pour in enough hot water from the kettle so that it comes half way up the side of the baking dish. Bake until well-risen and slightly browned -- about 30 minutes.
You can save effort by setting the butter out to soften a bit first. Use a good thick milk, such as homogenized, full fat, gold top, etc.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!