Cooking at: 375 F / 190 C / Gas Mark 5
Manchester Pudding Recipe
An old recipe, this is somewhat like a sweetened, flavoured bread pudding baked in a pie shell. Adapted from Mrs Beeton.
- Grate some lemon rind; put into the milk and set aside for at least 1/2 hour for the milk to get a slightly lemony taste.
- Make pastry crust; line a pie pan with it; put in fridge.
- Separate 2 of the eggs; put the 2 yolks in a bowl and reserve the whites for another use. Add the two other whole eggs, beat with a fork. Add the soft butter, beat in. Beat in the brandy and sugar. Set aside.
- After the milk has infused enough, tear the bread slices into bread crumbs and put in a pot. Pour the milk over the bread crumbs, put on the stove, bring to a boil, hold it there for 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly, then remove from the heat.
- Take the pie crust out of the fridge. Spread the bottom of it with a thick layer of the jam of your choice.
- Mix the egg and brandy mixture into the milk and bread crumb mixture; pour into the pie shell.
- Bake for an hour or until a knife comes out clean. Sprinkle the top with sugar, let cool and serve cold or at room temperature
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!