The 17th of July is Peach Ice Cream Day.
In the Northern Hemisphere, today comes right at the peak of peach season.
Peach flavour ice cream can be hard to find except at this time of the year.
While it’s doubtful that dietitians will let you count this towards your servings of fruit for the day, they will probably agree this is still a treat worth fitting in.
The entire month is also National Ice Cream Month (as well as National Hot Dog Month).
See also: Ice Cream, Peaches, Ice Cream Day, Ice Cream Freezer Patent Day, Chocolate Ice Cream Day, Creative Ice Cream Flavours Day, Frozen Yogurt Day, Ice Cream Soda Day, Hot Fudge Sundae Day, Soft Ice Cream Day, Strawberry Ice Cream Day, Vanilla Ice Cream Day
External resources: Enjoying Homemade Ice Cream without the Risk of Salmonella Infection (FDA)
Activities for today
- Make some homemade peach ice cream (use frozen or canned peaches if fresh are not in season where you are);
- go to your favourite ice cream parlor and have a peach ice cream cone or a peach ice cream sundae;
- have some for dessert at a restaurant;
- if you are having peach ice cream at home, garnish it with some peach slices or peach preserves;
- to notch your bowl of peach ice cream up next level, top it with grilled peach slices;
- drizzle a peach liqueur over your peach ice cream;
- if you can’t find any peach ice cream, then have some vanilla ice cream and top it with one (or more) of the peachy garnishes suggested above;
- share a photo of your peach ice cream today, whether bought or homemade, on social media.
The first print mention CooksInfo is aware of for a Peach Ice Cream Day being in July occurred in 2001 in the San Francisco Examiner:
“National Peach Ice Cream Day, July 12.” — Some dietary guidelines for July — Enjoy! San Francisco, California: The San Francisco Examiner. 4 July 2001. Page C6, col 1.
Previously, for years in the 1980s and 1990s, Fifer’s Orchard in Wyoming, Delaware had held a Peach Ice Cream Day in the first week of August. Merriweather, James. Peach Ice Cream Day serves up fun. Wilmington, Delaware: The News Journal. Sunday, 3 August 1997. Page B3, col. 2.
A Peachy Ice Cream Day. The Dairy Alliance. Blog entry 13 July 2020. Accessed June 2021 at https://thedairyalliance.com/blog/a-peachy-ice-cream-day/
Smith, Emily. National peach ice cream day. CNN: Eatocracy. 17 July 2013. Accessed June 2021 at https://eatocracy.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/17/national-peach-ice-cream-day/
Stryon, Shelby. National Peach Ice Cream Day. Springfield, MO: KOLR-TV. 17 July 2018. Accessed June 2021 at https://www.ozarksfirst.com/features/national-peach-ice-cream-day-7-17-18/
William-Ross, Lindsay. Scoop This: It’s National Peach Ice Cream Day. Southern California Public Radio, Pasadena, CA: LAIst. 17 July 2010. Accessed June 2021 at https://laist.com/news/food/scoop-this-its-national-peach-ice-c
|↑1||Merriweather, James. Peach Ice Cream Day serves up fun. Wilmington, Delaware: The News Journal. Sunday, 3 August 1997. Page B3, col. 2.|