These are great to have in the freezer for quick meals. Make and cook them, and then you can just take them out, thaw and reheat as needed.
- You need 2 cooked potatoes, peeled. They can be leftover baked or boiled potatoes, or if you are starting from scratch either boil them or microwave them.
- Grate the rind of the lemon to give you about 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Chop the onion and parsley.
- OPTIONAL: Mash the bones from the tinned salmon into the fish, as the calcium in these is very good for you.
- Mash potatoes. Stir in onions, parsley, mustard, salt, lemon rind, and pepper. Mix in the beaten egg, and fold in the salmon.
- OPTIONAL: You can add a handful of bread crumbs at this point.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Using your hands, shape into about 8 patties almost an inch (2 cm) thick.
- Cook the patties for about 5 minutes per side or until golden. Don't crowd the pan; give yourself lots of room to turn them so they don't break.
- You can keep the ones that are done warm in the oven. When all are ready, spritz them with a bit of lemon juice from the lemon.
Wonderful served with instant mashed potato and veg. Try adding 1/2 cup (3 oz / 85 g) cooked black beans, or using fresh coriander leaves instead of parsley or using 3 green onions instead of the plain onion. If you wish, you can add a dash of a hot pepper sauce for added zing. This recipe makes 8 patties, which will give 4 people 2 each. You can easily double this recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!