Cooking at: 325 F / 170 C / Gas Mark 3
Savoury Bread 'n Butter Pudding Recipe
This is very tasty with the leeks, but you can use sliced onions instead if you have onions to hand.
- Dice the carrot and slice the leek. Juice 1/2 the lemon and set the juice aside. Keep the other 1/2 lemon for other future uses.
- Melt the butter in a pan, and cook the carrots for 2 minutes. Then add the leek, lemon juice, and sugar. Cover the pan and cook on lowish heat for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Grease a shallow, ovenproof dish. Slice the French bread, and butter the slices on each side.
- Arrange half the bread on the bottom of the greased dish. Spread the vegetables on top, then top with the remaining bread, buttered-side up.
- Mix the milk, eggs and garlic together. Season with salt, pepper and any herbs you wish.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 1 1/4 hours. When done, the top will be crisp and the custard will be set -- a knife will come out clean.
Consider adding other veg such as green beans, shredded cabbage, etc. You want about 1/4 pound of bread. Per serving: 300 calories, 20g Fat, 8g Protein