Skinny Baked Brown Beans
Step 1: Cook the beans
- Rinse the navy beans. No need to presoak for either cooking method below.
- 1a) Pressure cooker (recommended): Put them in a pressure cooker along with the 10 cups of water, oil, and bay leaves. Put them right in -- as in, not in a steamer basket. Cook on high for 35 minutes. (In a Nutricook™, use the starch setting.) If the beans aren't soft after 35 minutes, bring them back up to pressure for another 5 minutes or so.
- 1b) If you don't have a pressure cooker, put the dried beans in a pot on stove with the water and bay leaves (omit oil), cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Let cook for around 2 hours until the beans are soft.
Step 2: Assemble the recipe
- When the beans are cooked, right away reserve 2 cups (500 ml) of the cooking water. Drain the beans. You can freeze the rest of the broth in a tub as a rich tasting, healthy stock for future cooking (recommended), or discard.
- Assemble in your slow cooker the 2 cups (500 ml) of bean stock, and all the remaining ingredients from the onion down to and including the Kitchen Bouquet. Stir to mix, then add the drained beans. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or on high for 2 hours.
3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® per 1/2 cup (125 ml); 5 points for 1 cup (250 ml). That’s half of most canned baked beans, which clock in around 5 points per 1/2 cup (125 ml).
There are 31 points in total in the recipe. The total yield of the recipe is 6 cups (1.5 litres.)
We used a salt substitute.
|1 cup (250 ml): 5 points|
* Weight Watchers Points™ calculated by CooksInfo.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the Points® registered trademarks.