Tomato, Mint & Lemon Salad
A fantastic, refreshing salad that you can treat as a "relish" on the side of the plate; it really livens up a meal with its bright flavours. The mint gives a nice balance to the taste. Yield: 4 cups (700 g) in total.
- Cut all larger tomatoes into bite-sized pieces; cut any cherry or grape tomatoes in half. Place in a large bowl.
- Wash 6 to 8 leaves of mint, chop coarsely, add to bowl.
- Wash the lemon, then zest it finely. Put the lemon zest in with the tomatoes.
- Juice the lemon. Make a dressing out of the lemon juice, olive oil and sugar; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the lemon dressing over the tomatoes. Toss well; let marinate at least an hour before serving. You can make this a day ahead -- just store covered in the refrigerator.
If you can, try getting a mix of tomatoes including cherry, etc. Roma tomatoes with their more solid flesh work particularly well in this. This will store for up to 4 or 5 days in the refrigerator.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!