Tomato & Mozzarella Pasta Salad
This combines all the great Italian flavours with the colours of the Italian flag: red, white and green. The flavours are amazing and it qualifies as "light food" despite the wonderful mixture of pasta, mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Yield: 8 cups / 1 kg
- 2.5 cups Rotini Uncooked. 225g / 8 oz
- 1 box Cherry Tomatoes small
- 4 Green Onions sliced
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded (120 g / 4 oz)
- 1 ½ cup Cucumber chopped (cut into chunks. (3 handfuls / 240 g / around ½ pound )
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Basil fresh, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Cook, drain and rinse pasta in cold water; set aside to cool.
- Toss in a salad bowl the following items:the cherry tomatoes, rinsed & halved;the green onions, rinsed & sliced;the cucumber, cut into chunks about 1 cm (½ inch) thick;mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Then stir in the pasta.
- Make the dressing from the olive oil, wine vinegar, basil, garlic and salt, pour it on the ingredients in the salad bowl, and toss.
- Serve room temperature. If you are making this earlier in the day, chill until an hour before ready to serve.
2 ½ cups uncooked rotini = 250 g / 8 oz If you are making this out of season, you can get away with dried basil (use about 1 tablespoon.) If you are using fresh basil, you can garnish the salad with a few leaves, chopped or whole.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!