Zucchini Cake Recipe
This is an authentic Italian recipe. It's also a great recipe for late summer (August) when everyone is looking for ways to use up all the zucchini and basil that is suddenly available and dirt cheap.
- Start heating oven to 175 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pan, and line it with lightly greased waxed or parchment paper.
- Beat sugar and eggs together. Add flour slowly, stirring it through.
- Heat the butter and the milk in a small saucepan until the butter has just melted. Stir this into the flour mixture, along with a pinch of salt and the vanilla extract and the basil leaves.
- Wash and dry the zucchini, slice in thin rounds and mix into flour mixture. Spoon the mixture into the cake pan, and cook until a toothpick comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a rack, remove the paper, and leave it to cool.
- Just before serving, dust with the icing sugar through a sieve and cut into wedges.
The cake should end up only about 1 inch (2.5 inch) deep, so don't worry that something went wrong!!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!