Cheesy Brussel Sprouts
A good introduction to sprouts for those who are Brussels sprouts hesitant.
- Grate the cheese; set aside.
- If you start with frozen Brussel sprouts (recommended), boil them until just tender to the bite. If you starting with fresh, cook for 7 to 9 minutes. Drain.
- Start heating oven to 190 C / 375 F /Gas Mark 5.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add milk (a whisk is ideal at this stage), and cook until smooth and thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring pretty frequently. Remove from heat, stir in mustard, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Stir in half the cheese until melted.
- Add Brussel sprouts (this is why it needed to be a large saucepan), and stir just enough to coat.
- Turn the mixture in a greased casserole dish (2 litre or 11 x 7 inch.) At this point, you can refrigerate (covered) and store in fridge a day ahead of time.
- When ready to cook, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake for 30 minutes. The cheese will be bubbly.
- Then turn on the broiler or grill, and when the broiler is hot, grill for 2 minutes.
For the mustard, use a nice mustard like Dijon, or an English mustard, etc. Try to use yellow hot-dog mustard only as a last resort.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!