Easy Baked Rosemary Onions
Some baked onion recipes seem to think you have an army of sous-chefs to back you. This recipe will taste just as impressive.
- Start oven heating to 200 C / 400 F /Gas Mark 6.
- Peel onions, and trim the tops and bottoms so that they are flat on both ends. Cut the onions in half horizontally and put in a casserole or baking dish.
- Pour the vegetable stock and olive oil over them, then season with the rosemary, salt and pepper. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes, basting the onions occasionally.
- Remove from oven, put the onions on a plate, and pour the sauce into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and whisk the butter in.
- Put onions back in casserole dish, pour the sauce over them and put back in the oven until they are very tender to a fork and have a shiny glaze -- about 20 minutes. You may want to baste once or twice. Serve hot.
Instead of dried rosemary, you can use 4 fresh sprigs, chopped. If you don't have Spanish onions, try very large white or red onions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!